Saturday 18 April 2015

#13 The Girl on the Train

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
 

'I once read a book by a former alcoholic where she described giving oral sex to two different men, men she had just met in a restaurant on a busy London high street. I read it and thought. im not that bad. This is where the bar is set'

This fast paced crime thriller follows multiple narratives but the main focus is on Rachel (yes I was super excited at reading a book where the protagonist has my name but she's a hot mess so that quickly diminished)

Rachel is a recently divorced alcoholic that suffers from frequent blackouts. Her ex husband Tom left her for another woman, Anna. These characters have their own sub plot throughout but the main focus is Megan and her husband Scott. Megan goes missing fairly early on and the whodunit storyline is the main drive for the story. There were many contenders and I was on 80% before I figured this one out so im quite pleased with that.

Now lets address the elephant in the room.... This story couldn't be further from Gone Girl. I really enjoyed Gone Girl but it was very predictable whereas this was not. Don't you just hate it when people say two books are he same when they aren't. Give this book its credit as its unique and interesting in its own right.

This is a difficult review to write as I don't want to give anything away as most of the joy comes from not knowing. Alas I really enjoyed this one, 4.5/5 stars from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment