Wednesday 10 April 2019

#63 Daisy Jones & The Six

Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

I read Evelyn Hugo last year when it took the world by storm and i loved it, one of my favourite books on 2018 so naturally i was both excited and nervous for her new book Daisy Jones & The Six. I received it as a Mothers Day Present from my little cherub. I heard from my delightful friends on Discord that this was loosely based on Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac who i absolutely adore so it immediately made me very excited to pick this one up. 

The story is made up entirely of interviews and starts off with Daisy Jones as a young teenager, neglected by her rich parents that pay little to no attention to her. Daisy begins sneaking out and singing in clubs and bars, she soon becomes a regular on the club scene and becomes influenced by alcohol and drugs. Daisy writes her own music and dreams of performing her own songs but she struggles as she cant seem to find anyone to take her seriously as a song writer.

The other main story line is how The Six came to be. The Six started with brothers Billy and Graham Dunne who learned how to play the guitar as young kids and started a band as teenagers. Billy quickly settles down with Camila and works hard to be a family man but he too like Daisy becomes caught up in drugs and alcohol and slowly spirals.

When Daisy is signed to the same record company as The Six the record company suggest that Daisy features on one of The Six' song. The song quickly becomes the bands biggest hit and Daisy becomes the bands opening act when they go on tour. When one night Daisy gets into a fight with her manager he leaves the tour and takes her backing band with him. Daisy then becomes a fully fledged member of The Six.

The story is so intricate and as you are reading you really cannot believe that this is fiction and that none of the characters even exist! This book reminded me of one of my favourite films 'Almost Famous' which made me only love it more. In true TJR style the ending really packed a bunch and was gut wrenching in parts.

Although i loved Evelyn Hugo more i still think this was a great read in its own right.

5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Very Attractive Article and very awesome.
    It really helped me ton. Please to be continued and posts like these.
    Mothers Day Is coming I will prefer you to check out my collection and wish others.
    happy mothers day wishes messages
    Regards,
    John

    ReplyDelete